The casework, consisting of interlocking blocks of flawless acrylic and deeply brushed and anodized aluminium, is true to the acclaimed Gryphon house style, a complex construct of contrasting angles and planes that is both reassuringly intricate and impressively solid.
Built entirely at Gryphon’s Danish research and development and manufacturing facility, the Diablo 120 inherits the dual-mono circuitry, ultra-short signal path, heavily gold-plated printed circuit boards, minimal internal wiring, high-quality gold-plated and PTFE-insulated sockets and proprietary binding posts employed in our flagship models. Only the finest audiophile grade components have been selected based on strenuous, extended auditioning for sound quality, thermal stability and long-term reliability. The wire-wound emitter resistors in the original Atilla output stage have been upgraded to non-inductive types for Diablo 120.
The meticulous attention to electrical and mechanical grounding, typical of our top of the line designs, is also equally in evidence here.
The Diablo 120 integrated amplifier is essentially two independent mono devices for reduced crosstalk and minimal interchannel interaction. The only things shared electrically between channels are the famed Holmgren toroidal transformer and AC power cable.
The custom made 1,300 VA transformer adds substantial heft with discrete secondary windings for left and right channels. Each channel is fed by its own 60,000 µF capacitor bank.
The output power of the Diablo 120 is 20% greater than that of the original Atilla: 2 x 120 W (8Ω), 2 x 240 W (4Ω), 2 x 440 W (2Ω). Consistent increases of output power as impedance is halved is a reliable indicator of exceptional high current capability, just as the extraordinary wide audio bandwidth, 0.1Hz to 250 kHz (-3 dB), is a sign of extreme stability. Heatsink surface area has also been increased to match the increase in output power.
With two pairs of Sanken transistors, Diablo 120 can easily drive difficult loudspeaker loads without the faintest hint of strain.
The Diablo 120 circuit employs zero global negative feedback and a unique microprocessor controlled passive attenuator for the most transparent volume control ever conceived. Regardless of the selected level, the 46-step relay attenuator places maximum six resistors in the signal path for ultimate sonic purity.
A large, graphical vacuum fluorescent display is employed instead of a more conventional LED character display to provide space for more information and a larger, more easily legible font. The lavish display and extensive control circuits are powered independently via a separate, isolated transformer in order to eliminate any risk of noise contamination. All front panel controls are touch sensitive (capacitive actuation.)
The Diablo 120 offers one balanced and four single-ended inputs, a comprehensive menu of configuration options (four levels of display brightness, user-defined start and maximum volume settings, individual source labelling with eight-character names and a dedicated and electrically isolated A/V bypass function for uncompromising integration with a multi-channel audio system.
Options – Digital or Analogue
At the time of original purchase or as the need arises at a later date, Gryphon Diablo 120 can be fitted with a specially designed Gryphon DAC PCM/DSD module based on the innovative, award-winning Gryphon Kalliope digital-to- analogue converter.
The module adds four digital inputs (USB, balanced AES/EBU 115 Ω, TOSLink optical and BNC S/PDIF 75 Ω). Via USB, the Diablo 120 DAC module can process PCM up to 32-bit/384 kHz as well as DSD (on Windows OS up to DSD512, on Mac OS up to DSD128, on Linux OS up to DSD128 DoP); via BNC S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs up to192 kHz/32-bit PCM and via TOSLink up to 96 kHz/24-bit PCM. Format compatibility of the various inputs is subject to change without notice.
This future-proof digital module is ready for any current or foreseeable high resolution digital format.
In the finest Gryphon tradition, the Diablo 120 also offers the alternative of an exceptional MM/MC phonostage for the dedicated enthusiasts who continue to enjoy the musical treasures etched in the grooves of the long-playing, black vinyl disc.
Gryphon Diablo 120 conveys music with unusual poise and exceptional subtlety and definition. Lightning reflexes combine with harmonic richness, articulation and refinement to create a lush whole that is very comfortable to listen to over extended periods even at realistic levels.
Gryphon Diablo 120 offers a unique level of musical enthusiasm and energy that will satisfy and delight for many years to come.
- Exterior design by Flemming E. Rasmussen
- Electronics design by Tom Møller
- True Dual Mono configuration
- Zero negative feedback
- Microprocessor-controlled 46-step relay volume attenuator for best sonic performance featuring only up to 6 resistors in series with signal at all levels
- Optional phonostage MM/MC module
- Optional DAC PCM/DSD module with one USB, 1 BNC S/PDIF, 1 AES/EBU and 1 optical input
- Digital formats. USB: PCM: 44.1kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 9 6kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz up to 32-bit.
- USB: DSD (DoP); DSD64 (2.822 MHz, 3.072 MHz), DSD128 (5.644 MHz, 6.144 MHz).
- USB Native DSD: DSD256* (11.2896 MHz) and DSD512* (22.5792 MHz) (currently, DSD256 and
- DSD512 only on Windows OS)
- BNC S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital inputs: up to 192 kHz/32-bit
- TOSLink: up to 96 kHz/24-bit
- One optional module can be installed at time of purchase or later, either phonostage or DAC
- Ultra-short signal path
- Minimal internal wiring
- Two to four-layer printed circuit boards up to 70µm copper
- Dual Mono Holmgren toroidal transformer
- PCB-mounted sockets eliminate wiring and shorten signal path
- Gold-plated Swiss Neutric XLR sockets for one balanced source
- Gold-plated phono sockets with Teflon insulation for four inputs and one Tape output
- Fixed-level AV throughput for uncompromising integration with surround preamplifier
- Graphical Vacuum Fluorescent Display with larger font for improved legibility
- Adjustable display intensity (100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, Off)
- 12VDC link input and output
- Flash memory upgrades via Key-Fob
- Non-invasive protection system
- Infrared remote control
- EU CE approval
- Standby power consumption < 0.5 W
- Designed and built in Denmark
2 x 120 W @ 8 Ohms, 2 x 240 W @ 4 Ohms, 2 x 440 W @ 2 Ohms
Output impedance: 0.030 Ohms
Bandwidth (-3 dB): 0.1 Hz to 250 kHz
Power Supply Capacity: 2 x 60,000 ŒµF
Gain: +38 dB
Input Impedance, balanced (20-20,000 Hz): 20 k Ohms
Input Impedance, single-ended (20-20,000 Hz): 8 k Ohms
Dimensions W x H x D cm: 48 x 23.5 x 46