No other mat is like it and all it takes is a simple A-B comparison to demonstrate the differences against other supports. Longer term listening allows subtle nuances as well as greater bass intelligibility to be appreciated.
Achromat is the ideal material to absorb energy from the record. There is no better. But it is only 3-5mm thick and this is where the science kicks in. Millions of tiny bubbles within create complex pathways and that’s where the energy gets lost as heat. In this way, Achromat acts like a considerably thicker mat. Its job is complete.
In 2009 Achromat came top in a mat comparison in HiFi Choice and then went on to win the Gold Award for Accessory against all comers.
- Made of acrylic containing thousands of randomly sized bubbles that absorb energy and turn it into heat
- Significantly reduces distortion by attenuating the back reflection from the platter to the stylus
- Helps to damp the ringing of metal and glass platters as it is designed to be stuck to the platter
- Results in a more 3D soundstage and better delineation between notes.
- Anti-static, unlike the felt mats that come with turntables
- Available in 3mm and 5mm sizes depending on ability to adjust VTA on the turntable